Have you ever made oven roasted chicken? Since the start of lockdowns of 2020, I’ve tried more recipes than a non-cooking lily like myself would probably have done for the next five years if all was normal in the world. However, lockdowns and early cut-off times for food delivered here in Jamaica hit hard, and well, we have to eat right? So I’ve strayed a few times from what was familiar. (Remember when I baked bread?)
By now, my regular readers know I’m all about convenience, so of course, quick-prep meals are are among my favourites. One recipe I’ve come to love more than others, is some juicy oven roasted chicken. I’m guilty of making a couple Sundays consecutively to pair with some Traditional Jamaican Rice and Peas. Not only do I love the taste of it, the fact that I prep the chicken inside of fifteen minutes whether I’m going to marinate for an hour or twenty-four certainly has a lot to do with it so I thought I’d share how with you guys.
You May Also Like: 5 Minute Breakfast Ideas for Busy Moms
How much chicken you make is up to you and how many people you need to feed. Typically, there’s no more than four mouths in my household (my lil sis is college and stay with us quite a bit since the pandemic started) and I make anywhere from a single leg quarter to a whole bird. I prefer larger single pieces of meat, but it’s up to you.
Of course, oven roasted indicates the chicken is done in the oven. However, some recipes call for roasted in a pan, whereas I prefer a rack. While roasting, the chicken will release juices and oil, and I don’t want my chicken sitting in it. So I place the chicken on a greased rack and set a pan beneath it to catch the juices.
Now that we’ve covered that, let’s get started on our ingredients. By the way I don’t have measurements. So you’ll have to eyeball how much of the spices to use.
Also, the spices listed are what I used, feel free to swap out some based on your preference or what you have available.
You may Also Like: How to Make Jamaican Sorrel Drink
Don’t worry, none of them are very overpowering, so you should be okay. Much if the ingredients are powder based, so watch out for salt content
- Leg quarters, half or whole bird
- All Purpose Spice
- Jerk Spice
- Badia Complete Seasoning
- Meat/Chicken Spice Seasoning
- Cayenne Pepper
- Mustard Spice
- Salt (Optional)
- Clean chicken as preferred.
- Mix dry ingredients to create a dry rub
- Apply dry rub to chicken generously. (if you don’t have enough, make more!). Ensure to get the rub into crevices and pockets of skin.
- Let the chicken for five minutes.
- Apply margerine to the chicken by massaging topically and leaving some in skin pockets. (It’s messy, I know)
- Marinate chicken for desired time.
- Pre-heat oven to 170° F
- Place chicken uncovered on rack in the oven.
- Place pan beneath chicken to catch juices.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes or until juices stop running. You can cut the time in half if you want to flip sides.
- Let chicken rest.
- Serve with side of choice
If you decide to try this oven roasted chicken recipe, be sure to come back to the comments and let me know how it turned out and whether or not you liked it.
Find me on: